Early bird entries are officially wrapped for Needle In The Hay 2019, and we’ve got some other exciting news to share with you.
Needle In The Hay is Australia and New Zealand’s largest independent music competition, an annual event giving one artist the chance to have their music pressed to vinyl.
Early bird entries for Needle In The Hay 2019 are officially closed! You now have until July 26th to enter your album or EP into Australia’s largest independent music comp.
With early bird entries closing, we’re able to share the final cutoff date for Needle In The Hay submissions. If you have an album or EP to enter, you must do so before July 26th 2019 at midnight.
Two months later we’ll be holding a party to celebrate the competition, taking place at The Marlborough Hotel in Sydney on September 27th. All Needle In The Hay finalists will be eligible to play.
Please find the finer details of Needle In The Hay, and the official entry page, below:
- Paste the URL for your album or EP (either released or unreleased) to the NitH enter page and pay the $10 entry fee via PayPal – please only submit streamable links (Soundcloud or Bandcamp only), any other submissions may be delayed or voided.
- The Happy team will listen to every submission and decide on a group of finalists.
- From the finalists, three guest judges will choose the winner and runners-up.
Please note that NitH is open only to Australian or New Zealand artists, either signed or independent. You CAN submit multiple albums and EPs, however, these must be separate entries. Demos are a-ok too!
1st Prize: 250 x 12″ vinyl copies of your album or EP pressed by Zenith Records with full colour packaging, a high production video with JMC Academy, plus more to be announced.
Runner-Up Prizes: Over $20,000 worth in prizes from Audio-Technica, JBL, RØDE, Korg, Polaroid, Enmore Audio, plus more to be announced.
Previous Needle In The Hay winners were Spacey Jane, who won the 7-inch single comp with their track Thrills, and Kardajala Kirridarra who won the inaugural contest with their self-titled debut album. For their troubles, both bands took home 250 copies of their single/album pressed to vinyl by Zenith Records.
We’re also almost ready to announce 2019’s set of esteemed judges. Previous NitH judges include Jen Cloher, Aaron Curnow (Spunk Records), Julia Wilson (Rice Is Nice), Monkey Marc, Magoo, and Jake Stone (Bluejuice).
• Only submit Soundcloud or Bandcamp links. All other submissions may be difficult to process. Please check your links are working before you send them.
• Yes, managers and labels can enter on behalf on artists.
• Yes, signed artists can enter the comp.
• Yes, demos are a-ok.
• Yes, your music will stay 100% private.
• Yes, if you’ve already released your album or EP on vinyl, or if it has featured on another release, that’s totally ok.
• Yes, you can enter old albums or EPs.