It’s no secret that AirPods are designed to meld seamlessly with the human body. The smooth plastic fits to our ear with no issue. According to a man named Hsu from Taiwan, who inadvertently took this a step further, your AirPod can come into contact with just about any orifice and work just fine.
Hsu told LADBible that after losing his AirPod at home and using the ‘Find My AirPods’ feature to track it down, he realised he’d swallowed it. What came could be described as a horrifying, or as a Christmas miracle – you be the judge.
The AirPod was still on 41 per cent.
“I could hear the ‘beep, beep’ sound, which seemed to follow me around the room,” Hsu explained. “But I checked under my blanket and looked around but couldn’t find it – then I realised the sound was coming from my stomach!”
“I swallowed my Airpod!,” he realised.
Later, Hsu rummaged through his shit (literally), and found the beloved AirPod, which seemed to have come out if the ordeal (and his anus) with no trouble. “The battery was still at 41 per cent! It was incredible.”
In case you’re wondering. Hsu is also fine.
“Due to the plastic shell around the AirPod, the risk of it causing him harm in a similar way to swallowing a regular lithium-ion battery is much lower,” Dr Chen Chieh-fan from Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospital emergency room said.