Every year, we hear many stunning Like A Versions from a variety of artists on triple j.
These covers can range from the gorgeous through to the absurd and all the way back to the extreme. This year, triple j have calculated the biggest performances into a list of golden tunes.
With every passing year, we are gifted with some incredible Like A Versions. This year is no different, so Triple J have put together a list of the biggest.
triple j have completed this through collating the views of specific LAV’s on their website, Youtube, and Facebook page. Of all the many possibilities, triple j managed to create a top 10 of the most watched LAV’s this year.
From Jorja Smith’s eclectic take on The Fugees classic, Killing Me Softly, through to Alex Lahey’s raucous version of Welcome To The Black Parade, the list covers every style and variety. However, of all the Like A Versions that came out this year, there could only be one numero uno.
That prestigious position could only really go to one song this year. Denzel Curry’s riot-inducing revision of Rage Against the Machines Bulls On Parade stormed in like, well, a heard of bulls. I personally remember waking up earlier this year, on a bright sunny day, and seeing the notification pop up. As soon as I sat down with a friend of mine to watch the performance, we couldn’t quite believe what we were hearing.
The sheer gob-smacking power of the power and anger he managed to express is rarely achieved. Let alone covering a nearly uncoverable band. Curry’s performance will almost definitely go down as one of the greatest Like A Versions ever, and he has the numbers to prove it. His video was watched a total of four million more times than the number 2 on the list.
With boundless more Like A Versions to come, we should be in for many more nuggets of cover-version gold.
See the full list below:
- Denzel Curry – Bulls On Parade (Rage Against the Machine)
- Yungblud & Halsey – I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab For Cutie)
- Jorja Smith – Killing Me Softly (Roberta Flack/The Fugees)
- Childish Gambino – Lost In You (Chris Gaines)
- Cub Sport – When The Party’s Over (Billie Eilish)
- Little Simz – Feel Good Inc. (Gorillaz)
- Aurora – Across The Universe (The Beatles)
- Hilltop Hoods – Can’t Stop (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Allday & The Veronicas – Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
- Alex Lahey – Welcome To The Black Parade (My Chemical Romance)