Today marks the 35th Anniversary of William Goldman’s beloved book, The Princess Bride. Adapted to film in 1987 by Rob Reiner, it has gone on to become a cult classic.
Starring Cary Elwes as the loyal, clever, and heroic Westley, and Robin Wright as the uncommonly beautiful Buttercup, The Princess Bride is considered one of Reiner’s best works, and one of the best films to come out of the 1980s.
Buttercup and Westley’s love story has more than endured over the last three decades and earned its rightful place in pop culture. To celebrate The Princess Bride’s 35th anniversary, we highlight some of the most hilarious, heart-warming, and memorable lines from one of the best fantasy adventure films of all time.
2. Westley: “as you wish”
3. The Grandson: “A book?”
Grandpa: “In my day, television was called a book.”
4. Westley: “Hear this now: I will always come for you.”
Buttercup: “But how can you be sure?” Westley: “This is true love. You think this happens every day?”
5. Buttercup: “We’ll never survive.”
Westley: “Nonsense. You’re only saying that because no one ever has.”
6. Westley: “Can you move at all?”
Buttercup: “Move? You’re alive. If you want, I can fly.”
7. Buttercup: “You mock my pain.”
Man in Black: “Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
8. Westley: “I told you I would always come for you. Why didn’t you wait for me?”
Buttercup: “Well… you were dead.”
Westley: “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”
Buttercup: “I will never doubt again.”
Westley: “There will never be a need.”
9. Westley: “It’s not that bad. Well, I’m not saying I’d like to build a summer home here, but the trees are actually quite lovely.”
10. Westley: “But for now, rest well and dream of large women.”
11. Miracle Max: “You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.”
12. Grandpa: “Since the invention of the kiss, there have been five kisses rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The end.”
— Cary Elwes (@Cary_Elwes) September 25, 2022