Victorians face yet another Covid outbreak and we're feelin' for them
[gtranslate]
News

Victorians face yet another Covid outbreak and we’re feelin’ for them

Melbourne is experiencing yet another COVID outbreak this month as 10 new cases were recorded this week.

Five new covid cases were announced yesterday alone.

The cases have been linked to Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs, with a man in his 60s identified as the main source of infection that led to an additional 8 cases last week.

covid
Image: Herald Sun

The cases have been linked to Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs, with a man in his 60s identified as the main source of infection that led to an additional 8 cases last week.

The man, from Wollert, had spent two weeks in hotel quarantine in South Australia before returning to Victoria in early May, where he tested positive for Covid.

All new clusters have since been connected to the Wollert case, though the missing link has not officially been detected.

Experts believe the man infected someone who did not develop any symptoms, and was therefore not prompted to get tested.

As the investigation continues, the range of cases has increased from Epping to Maribyrnong, and Melbourne’s CBD, dating back to May 17.

Here’s what we know so far.

The Wollert man was tested on May 17. The next day, he met with a man in his 30s, where health officials believe the covid spread really started.

It was then passed onto an additional four family members, including a pre-school child, a grandfather in his 70s and a woman in her 70s.

The man in his 70s visited Highpoint Shopping Centre on the weekend, which then led to several exposure sites from the area.

These cases were announced on Monday.

Acting Premier James Merlino announced new restrictions for the city yesterday after the fifth covid case was confirmed.

Up until June 4, masks will now be mandatory indoors, while private gatherings in the home have been limited to five people a day. Meanwhile, public gatherings have been limited to 30 people.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says that the outbreak is “not out of control”, but he is “alive to the possibility that there may be more positive cases”.

This week has seen testing sites overwhelmed, with wait lines of up to four hours and six sites closed due to overcapacity.

This morning, however, Deputy Premier James Merlino told the press that: “we do not have a problem with the supply,” insisting that “we have got the capacity to do two to three times what we have been doing,” urging eligible people to continue getting tested.

“We need people to pick up the phone, call the vaccine hotline, book an appointment and get vaccinated.”