In case you haven’t noticed, we’re massive fans of everything that’s going on in Western Australia. Home to some of the country’s most exciting musicians, venues, and industry legends, it’s quickly becoming a musical hub to rival the world’s best.
In 2017/18 the competition is back, with a bigger prize pool than ever before. But there’s not long left to enter.
Fancy yourself amongst Western Australia’s best? The WAM Song Of The Year is back, itching to hear what their local talent has on offer.
Songs must have been released between January 1st and December 31st 2017, and yourself or your band must have been based in WA for the majority of that time.
The award is split into 16 categories, so musos from all walks get a fair go at the $45,000 prize pool (suss that out below). This year’s categories are: Blues/Roots, Country, Electronic, Experimental, Folk, Jazz, Metal/Heavy, Punk/Hardcore, Pop, Rock, Urban/Hip Hop and World, plus extra categories for Schools (14 Years & Under), Schools (15-17), Outstanding Indigenous and Outstanding Regional.
And of course, there will always be one champ who takes home the Grand Prize. All winners will be announced at the Awards Party, taking place at the Fly by Night Club in Fremantle on Wednesday May 16th.
Submissions are open until 5pm Monday February 12th. Enter here.
- $3,000 cash
- A two-day recording and production session with one of West Australia’s most high-profile producers and recent Best Sound Engineer/Producer (studio) WAMAward winner, Andy Lawson of Debaser Studios
- The opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus a tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 100 x 7 inch records, on black vinyl with a full colour sleeve and sticker, pressed courtesy of Rhubarb Records and XVinylX
- A national media servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- The new RØDE AI-1 complete home studio recording microphone package worth over $1,000
- $1,100 towards your next CD pressing plus one year’s worth of digital distribution from Diskbank
- A Happy Mag online partnership campaign which includes editorial, banner advertising, newsletter inclusion and lots more, worth $1,360
- Two-week radio ad campaign from RTRFM
- Expert branding and digital marketing assessment and consultation from renown Sydney-based digital agency director, VanessaPicken, from Comes With Fries
- A state-of-the-art Headphonic headphones package
- Cool Perth Nights golden ticket which offers access to all Cool Perth Night’s shows for two months
- 12-month Spotify subscriptions for you and your fellow songwriters
- $1,200 gift voucher for Custom in-ear monitors from Audiofly
- A guaranteed prime spot on the 2018 WAMFest line-up
- Four passes to WAMCon 2018 (which also provides access to all WAMFest Live paid showcases, plus the infamous QuayNote boat party networking event!).
For a full list of terms and conditions, head here.