As part of their ongoing Japanese archival series, Light In The Attic Records have unveiled their upcoming compilation Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990.
It’s the first-ever fully licensed collection of this music, and marks the only time these recordings have ever been released outside of Japan.
Explore a critical point in time for Japanese environmental music in Kankyō Ongaku, a decade-spanning new compilation from Light In The Attic Records.
The compilation features music from Ryuichi Sakamoto, Haruomi Hosono, Joe Hisaishi (the composer who worked with Hayao Miyazaki on all Studio Ghibli films except one), and many more artists instrumental to the period.
The 1980s saw a wave of Kankyō Ongaku, a phrase meaning ‘environmental music’ encompassing ambient, minimal, soundscape and architectural music, explode in Japan, led by many of the artists on this compilation.
The 3xLP set includes extensive liner notes and artist bios, an essay by artist Spencer Doran, and two CDs housed in a custom 7″ hardbound book. Online you’ll be able to order the records in clear vinyl, with indie retailers sporting transparent blue wax.
Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 will be released February 15th, 2019. Pre-order your copy here.
1. Satoshi Ashikawa – Still Space
2. Yoshio Ojima – Glass Chattering
3. Hideki Matsutake – Nemureru Yoru (Karaoke Version)
4. Ayuo Takahashi – Nagareru*
5. Joe Hisaishi – Islander
6. Yoshiaki Ochi – Ear Dreamin’
7. Masashi Kitamura + Phonogenix – Variation・III
8. Interior – Park
9. Yoichiro Yoshikawa – Nube
10. Yoshio Suzuki – Meet Me In The Sheep Meadow
11. Ryuichi Sakamoto – Dolphins*
12. Toshi Tsuchitori – Ishiura (Abridged)
13. Shiho Yabuki – Tomoshibi (abridged)
14. Toshifumi Hinata – Chaconne
15. Yasuaki Shimizu – Seiko 3
16. Inoyama Land – Apple Star
17. Hiroshi Yoshimura – Blink
18. Fumio Miyashita – See the Light (abridged)
19. Akira Ito – Praying For Mother / Earth Part 1
20. Jun Fukamachi – Breathing New Life
21. Takashi Toyoda – Snow
22. Yellow Magic Orchestra – Loom
23. Takashi Kokubo – A Dream Sails Out To Sea – Scene 3
24. Masahiro Sugaya – Umi No Sunatsubu
25. Haruomi Hosono – Original BGM