Time to blow the dust off your cosplay gear as Oz Comic-Con Homegrown makes its triumphant return to Sydney.
With the success of its pop-up earlier this year, Oz Comic-Con is back. The pandemic has been devastating for the con scene in Sydney, with most conventions having to postpone their events multiple times due to the restrictions, and in some cases, having to cancel and refund entire events.
As one of the few conventions taking place this year, Oz Comic-Con Homegrown offers fans of pop culture and popular media a long-awaited chance to meet up after months of lockdown.
Oz Comic-Con Homegrown: the basics
“We want to avoid the disappointment of last-minute cancellations due to potential border restrictions and will be focused on bringing you Film & TV guests who are state based for each of the Oz Comic-Con Homegrown events,” the crew behind this year’s Comic-Con said.
Oz Comic-Con Homegrown takes place on Saturday 4th December and Sunday 5th December 2021, at Sydney Showground. There are different ticket options available, including a family pass and a priority pass, the latter of which gives visitors access to the priority queue for guest photograph and autograph lines.
Do note that visitors will be required to adhere to COVID-safe measures, and that proof of vaccination is an entry requirement.
Comic-Con Homegrown features a wide variety of guests ranging from television and film celebrities, cosplayers, content creators, artists, and illustrators. Guests will be doing various panels, photograph, and autograph events throughout the weekend, both in-person and virtually.
Without further ado, here is the full guest lineup for the convention.
- Richard Roxburgh (Van Helsing, Moulin Rouge!, Rake)
- Remy Hii (Spider-Man: Far From Home, Crazy Rich Asians, Marco Polo)
- Danielle Cormack (Wentworth, Rake)
- Dan Ewing (Love and Monsters, Occupation: Rainfall)
- Nicola Scott
- Andrew Constant
- Jamie Johnson
- Christopher Sequeira
- Chewie Chan
- Jan Sherpenhausan
- Steve Kilbey (The Church)
- Queenie Chan
- Julie Ditrich
- Daniel Piciotto
- Louie Joyce
- Ryan K Lindsay
- Marcelo Baez
- Jules Faber
- Tim McEwan
- David Kuraria
- Alan Baxter
- J.S. Breukelaar
- Jayden Rodrigues
- Soylent Cosplay
As well as three international guests who will be joining virtually:
- Roger Craig Smith (Sonic the Hedgehog, Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassins Creed)
- Colleen O’Shaughnessey (Sonic the Hedgehog, Danny Phantom)
- John Barrowman (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Supernatural, Legends of Tomorrow)
As you navigate through the convention grounds, keep a lookout for the massive 2.5m tall Transformer made out of recycled material, but don’t let it distract you from the other fantastic event areas (and of course, the Artist Alley).
We have listed a few of the main areas below, but feel free to check out the exhibitor list as you plan out your route!
- Main Stage: Both virtual and in-person Q&A panels for Film, Television, Comic, and Author guests will be held here.
- Community and Workshop Stage: Cosplay and other community panels will be held here. These panels range from Q&A panels to more interactive or narrative ones and cover topics like photography, editing, and various arts and crafts.
- Anime and Trivia Stage: Featuring anime screenings and panels, a variety of trivia events, cosplay showcases, and many other anime-related activities, this stage lets you put your fandom and canon knowledge to the test.
- Artist Alley: Creators galore. Ranging from fan artists to your favourite comic illustrators, there’s a booth for everyone. Empty your wallet at a merch booth, or perhaps purchase that commission from your dream artist. That’s instant serotonin right there, baby. The sky’s the limit (and by sky I mean your bank account balance).
- Cosplay Central: Time to bust out the cosplay that has been collecting dust in your closet for the past year or so. The Cosplay Central is the main gathering hub for cosplayers and photographers, so don’t miss your opportunity to get that group photoshoot! There will also be cosplay parades for cosplayers of all ages and skill levels, so take that chance and shoot your shot.
- Gaming Zone and Esports Tournaments: Featuring a free play gaming zone a collaboration with the Australian Esports League, let your inner tryhard out as you battle with or against your mates and other convention attendees in classic Esports games. Or check out the latest gaming products displayed – time to upgrade that gaming rig.
- Tabletop Gaming Library: Prefer tabletops instead? No problem – Oz Comic-Con has a whopping 40+ tabletop games in the Tabletop Gaming Library, including games like Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Catan, and Red Dragon Inn.
Sydney Oz Comic-Con Homegrown
Saturday 4th December, 9am-6pm
Sunday 5th December, 9am-5pm
Sydney Showground, Olympic Park
Proof of vaccination required