News

Nick Kyrgios charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assault of his former girlfriend and is set to face court in early August.

Nick Kyrgios is listed to appear in an ACT court next month over an alleged assault that occurred in December last year.

The ACT police confirmed the charges and said the Canberra-born 27-year-old is set to face the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2.

nick kyrgios
Credit: Getty

The tennis super star has been in the media a lot recently as he competes in Wimbledon, where he has made the men’s singles quarter-finals.

If Kyrgios is found guilty of the offence he could be sentenced to a maximum of two years in jail.

Kyrgios hasn’t yet spoken about the charges.

A spokesperson for the All England Club said Kyrgios’ matches will go ahead as scheduled.

“We have been made aware of legal proceedings involving Nick Kyrgios in Australia, and as they are ongoing, we are not in a position to offer a comment,” the spokesperson said.

“We are in touch with Nick’s team and he remains scheduled to play his quarter-final match tomorrow.” 

The governing body of men’s tennis, the APT told Reuters: “The ATP is aware of the Australian case involving Nick Kyrgios but as legal proceedings are ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time,”

Kyrgios has been getting himself in trouble all week and was recently fined more than $20,000 for his on-court behaviour at Wimbledon.

The tennis pro was fined for spitting in the direction of a spectator while playing his round-one match with Paul Jubb and was fined again for audibly swearing throughout his third-round match with Stefanos Tsitsipas, both of which matches Kyrgios won.

Tsitsipas was also fined for unsportsmanlike conduct after hitting the ball into the crowd. 

It’s almost like expecting highly competitive athletes to behave in an orderly fashion while competing is kind of unrealistic.