Aussie pub rock legend Lindsay Tebbutt has died of cancer -

Aussie pub rock legend Lindsay Tebbutt has died of cancer

Drummer and founding member of Choirboys, Lindsay Tebbutt has died after battling cancer over the last few months.

Australian pub rock soared in the 80s, and Northern beaches band Choirboys helped carve the defining sounds of the era. Lindsay Tebbutt will be remembered for his killer drumming and overall influence on Australian music over the years.

After months of battling cancer, it was announced via the band’s social media, that Tebbutt had passed away on Friday morning.

Choirboys via Facebook

Formed on Sydney’s Northern beaches in 1979, Choirboys were born when Lindsay Tebbutt, and Mark Gable’s girlfriends of the time thought they’d be well suited to make tunes together. And right they were.

Shortly after, they were joined by Brad Carr on guitar (replaced by Brett Williams in the mid-80s), and Ian Hulme on bass. Choirboys went on to have a forty-year career filled with nine studio albums, chart-topping singles, and tours across the world.

Bangers Run to Paradise, and Boys will be Boys helped define the Aussie pub rock genre, and carried influence through the generations, with kids growing up bopping to such tunes in the back seats of their parent’s car.

Lindsay Tebbutt was diagnosed with Mesothelioma, a certain type of cancer that affects the mesothelial cells covering most internal organs. He battled with the incurable disease for months before passing in the early hours of last Friday morning.

“Lindsay was loved by all who knew him. He was funny, intelligent, and very talented not just as a drummer but as a singer and songwriter. He will be immortalized on our recordings and on the many videos out there,” the band wrote on their Facebook page as they announced the tragic news.

The band’s lead singer, and close personal friend of Tebbutt’s, Mark Gable, wrote “His last words to me were ‘I will hold you close to my heart as I walk toward the light’ well there was a little more joking around before we finally hung up our phones as was Lindsay’s way.”