Home Alone fans – with support from main man Macaulay Culkin – have started an online campaign to remove Donald Trump’s cameo from the sequel.
The Home Alone star responded to fans on Twitter, saying that he was “sold” on removing his Trump from Home Alone 2.
Since the deadly attacks on Capitol Hill, Culkin has backed fans on social media who have erased Trump’s presence from the Christmas film, with replacements ranging from the now-40-year-old Culkin, to Dolly Parton, to Star Wars‘ gangster alien, Jabba the Hutt.
Trump’s removal doesn’t actually seem like that much of a stretch, with producer Chris Columbus admitting in an interview earlier this year that Trump “did bully his way into the movie” in exchange to film at the Trump-owned Plaza Hotel.
petition to digitally replace trump in ‘home alone 2’ with 40-year-old macaulay culkin
— rae ⚔️ (@rachellobaugh) January 10, 2021
— Macaulay Culkin (@IncredibleCulk) January 13, 2021
“Like most locations in New York City, you just pay a fee and you are allowed to shoot in that location,” Columbus mentioned. “We approached The Plaza Hotel, which Trump owned at the time, because we wanted to shoot in the lobby. Trump said OK. We paid the fee, but he also said, ‘The only way you can use the Plaza is if I’m in the movie.'”
NOW digitally replace the Home Alone 2 cameo with one of Dolly Parton 🙌🏻 pic.twitter.com/T1ATVSxfkC
— Glen Scott (@glenrules) January 9, 2021
I can’t believe they were able to get George Lucas’ team to remove him in the Home Alone 2 special edition. pic.twitter.com/SzLbNjh9y3
— Ben “The Mediocre Gatsby” Mooney (@Ben_Etc) January 9, 2021