A Californian repairman cleaning a 1960s synth went on a mega nine-hour trip after accidentally ingesting vintage LSD through his skin.
When working on a standard clean and restore project, you don’t expect to accidentally get super high on 50-year-old LSD. But that’s exactly what happened for one repairman working on a vintage Buchla Model 100 modular synthesiser.
Eliot Curtis was recently given the job of restoring the vintage synth, which had been stored in a dark room at Cal State University East Bay since the 1960s. But after cracking off the front of the unit to give it a clean, he began to majorly trip out.
After opening the Buchla, Curtis discovered a crystal-like substance that he attempted to clean off. Spraying it with a cleaning solvent, he then tried to dislodge it with his fingers. Then, around 45 minutes later, the fun really started. His body began to tingle, which then quickly dissolved into an epic nine-hour acid trip.
After testing, it was discovered that the substance was indeed vintage LSD. A researcher also revealed that LSD can lay dormant and potent if stored in a cool, dark place, and that it is possible to ingest it through the skin. So apparently Buchla synthesisers make the perfect storage for your psychedelics. Who knew?
The synth has since been thoroughly cleaned of all LSD and is back on track for its restoration. No say on where the drugs ended up though…
While you’re here, check out:
- 5 Wonderful things you didn’t know about Syd Barrett
- Video footage of Syd Barretts First LSD Trip
- The second coming of psychedelics in pop culture
- How classical became psychedelic: A brief history of baroque pop
- LSD and 24-hour jazz: the story of Jefferson Airplane’s ‘White Rabbit’