A man has injected magic mushrooms into his veins and now they have started growing inside his bloodstream.
To be clear, psychedelics, when obtained from a reliable source and taken properly, are proven to be perfectly safe. When injected directly into the bloodstream, however, not so much. This man went to new lengths to get that magic mushroom high, resulting in hospitalisation and some serious issues.
The man, who is referred to as Mr X in the case report, made a “tea” from magic mushrooms and proceeded to inject it into his blood, resulting in the fungus actually growing inside his veins.
In the report published by the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, doctors state that the 30-year-old man tried to self-medicate for opioid dependence and depression. However, the attempt to self-medicate resulted in his family rushing him to the emergency department.
While the man’s research was warranted, as psilocybin has been found to relieve the effects of depression, his method of self-medication was not as verified.
“Don’t try this at home” unless you also want amazing results 🤷♂️😆
— Anthony Marchioli (@AnthonyMarchio8) February 24, 2020
Aside from fungi literally growing inside him, the man’s symptoms ranged from diarrhoea to vomiting blood, all the way up to organ failure, acute liver injury, and septic shock.
I’ll try this at home
— gₑₒᵣgᵢₐ (@stelargeorgia) January 13, 2021
The doctors signed off with a pretty important message in the report, stating that this case “highlights the need to educate the public on the dangers of using drugs in ways that they are not prescribed.”